Wednesday, July 30, 2008

ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH

the below are some of my library cards:






They are from London School of Economics, UCL's Senate House Library, Birkbeck College, SCONUL (the British Interlibrary Cooperation System), Canterbury Christ Church, CILIP (the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals), City University and Greenwich University. Of all these, I would say that the Senate House is the most amazing for the sheer density and number of books. LSE comes second for having such a beautiful, open interior space. Not pictured are library cards from the University of Portland, Portland State University, Columbia University, and Kent University. Those I lost. Another card I will receive soon is from Ravensbourne College College of Design where I will be working next month. Both David Bowie and Stella McCartney went there. Shit is serious.

Behind the library and library-oriented cards is my dissertation. So far, it's 60 pages, which is not a ton, but not exactly small, either. It's about information. The philosophy and history of information. It's a media-historical reading. I finish it in about a month. It's all I do anymore. After that point I will become a normal person. By a normal person, I mean skateboarding and being social again. I have a ton of new tricks all planned out in my mind. Super tech.

OK. also, this is a view from outside my balcony. You can see the Barbican apartments off at the end. They represent a high point in the history of what is called "Brutalist" architecture. I suppose you can't see it that well, but it's a pretty rad building.

anyway. wish me luck.






















Uh, ok, last thing: you should listen to this song. It made me wish I was from Oakland, even though the fact they have a street called "seminary" kind of freaks me out.

No comments: