Sunday, February 18, 2007

bsng-bs180

February 18th. In this day in history, nothing really interesting happened. Besides that Eby Ghafarian was born. Happy Birthday, friend. I just started a job cataloging for Portland Public Schools. I work with a nice group of folks. Right now we are at Boise-Eliot. It's auspicously located right next to the dept. of skateboarding.

Boise-Eliot is K-8; so most of the book are "children's" books. Some childrens' books are amazing--like really well-designed magazines, only with one (way better) topic and better pictures. Like this. I think I got this from a book on Cherokees. This girl would be pretty much the coolest girl in the LES right now.

Here is another option for the future of skateboarding fashion. I can't remember where i got this from. Ali Boulala? If you are out there, please take some notes on how to actually be awesome for real.
I think they are trying to take the piss.
um?Now I know these guys are taking the piss! There's a fucking burger in the astronaut's reflection! What does that mean? And why is he wearing slippers?

Other skate-related information: Zimbabwe is all hesh now.
This is from a book called Children of the Yukon. I like these paintings. I am not sure if the Yukon is really this amazing. But who cares? Just look at these for a sec and try to forget about skateboarding.This deer-hunting picture is my favorite.
I like how the illustrator makes the Yukon look so fun. Just simple shapes, mesmerizing colors, and simple scenes. I like the kids running around. Simple physical language. The viewer is spared of any spastic facial expressions.This would be on the other end of the spectrum. Skateboard Renegade, by Matt Christopher.RENEGADE! Never been afraid to say/ what's on my mind at any given time of day/Cause I'm a RENEGADE! Never been afraid to talk/ about anything. (ANYTHING?) anything. (ANYTHING?) RENEGADE!
ren·e·gade [ren-i-geyd] –noun 1. a person who deserts a party or cause for another. 2. an apostate from a religious faith. –adjective 3. of or like a renegade; traitorous. [Origin: 1575–85; < Sp renegado < ML renegātus (n. use of ptp. of renegāre to desert, renege)]

This is the face of skateboarding today.
"We learn from history that we do not learn from history."--GWF Hegel

No comments: